Yes, you can make a living in South Africa, in fact you can live a comfortable life as a freelancer , it all depends on how much work you want to put down, remember that starting out as freelancer will be much harder for someone who is just coming out of school, while it will be much easier for someone who was working for a company and has built contacts over a long run.
How do you go about it?
First thing first, you need to have some sort of skill or expertise that you want to provide your services for, you might consider learning a bit more about the skill and make sure you perfect it before you start freelancing, you must also learn from your competition and see how they market themselves, how they provide their services, pricings etc.
Most popular freelancing niches
1. Blogging – everyone knows what blogging is all about, blogging is when you create a website and write content about a particular topic(s) or service(s) and hopefully build a great amount of following , the more following you have the more you will make money.
How do I make money from blogging?
You can sell ads space, you can use google adsense, affiliate marketing, sell content, consulting services and more, the opportunities are endless.
2. Writing – Nowadays content is king and a lot of companies and individuals are always out looking for great writers, with the right marketing strategy, you can make a good money as a writer.
3. Influencer – Yutube, Instagram, Twitter, facebook , Nowadays companies are working with social media influencers to reach their market easily, so maybe you can start building your social media following and be a brand influencer, influencers with lots of followers make a lot of money by working with various brands.
4. Web design and marketing – Covid-19 has shown businesses that going digital is the way to go now, if you know how to design websites or maybe know how to market them you can make a lot of money as companies are fighting for that number one spot on the internet.
5. Start your own company – You can start your own company rather than working for a boss, the rewards will be much higher after a lot of hard work.
6. Videographer – a lot of people are focusing on this field now, companies are looking for people to put their marketing videos on youtube, Vloggers are also looking for crew to create their videos, with a right marketing strategy you will make a lot of money here.
There are a lot of ways to make money as a freelancer, I have just covered these few for now but you must always follow your passion and your passion will pay for your bills.